couchdb-user mailing list archives

From Jason Winshell <jas...@bearriver.com>
Subject Re: Matching docs which values ending with a specific string
Date Wed, 12 Feb 2014 22:48:40 GMT
AFAIK, you're describing a CouchDB limitation. You may need to use CouchDB-Lucene to get your
answers. CouchDB views match keys in an index. You can match a prefix, but not a tail. And
you can't deal with case sensitivity. You might be able to generate a view in which you reverse
the chars of your location and then match in reverse order (i.e. turning the problem into
a prefix). I think trying to coerce Couch to do that is nutty. Just use CouchDB-Lucene.

On Feb 12, 2014, at 2:35 PM, Tito Ciuro <tciuro@mac.com> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I have a database with documents with the following format:
>
> {
>    "_id" : "12345",
>    "location" : <some_city>.<some town>
> }
>
> I have values like:
>
> California.San Francisco
> California.Los Angeles
> Florida.Miami
>
> What I'm trying to do is to match documents that "end with" a particular string. Say
I want to match all states where the town 'Anytown' exists:

> California.Anytown
> Florida.Anytown
> Texas.Anytown
>
> If I use the following query:
>
> curl http://127.0.0.1:5984/example/_design/test/_view/ends-with-city?key=%22California.Anytown%22
>
> It works and returns one document (as expected), but I cannot seem to make it work when
I look for an "end with" string. I have seen examples where %007F is used to match "begins
with". When I use it, I get a {"error":"bad_request","reason":"invalid_json"} message. So
I'm not sure how to proceed.