couchdb-user mailing list archives

From Ryan Ramage <>
Subject Re: Anyway to alter doc when replicating?
Date Thu, 06 Feb 2014 19:39:52 GMT
On Thu, Feb 6, 2014 at 10:38 AM, Dan Santner <> wrote:

> I have the replication filtering down now but I'm wondering is there
> anyway for me to change the doc before it copies to the source?
> The use case is I have production documents that I want to migrate
> somewhere else but change all the names to 'John Smith' before they land in
> the new destination.  Also need to remove a couple other things that might
> be considered sensitive.

I am loving using leveldb with couch. For the problem you are dealing with,
one very helpful module is

In the emit you could alter the doc, change names, etc. Then just replicate
that to a remote couch. I does add a layer of middleware, but might meet
your needs.

Another option is to use Cloudants chained views. See here: use a view, and
then a dbcopy to another database, and then just replicate that db.
Unfortunately this is non-standard couchdb, but the cloudant team are
friendly folk.