couchdb-user mailing list archives

From Jason Winshell <ja...@jasonwinshell.com>
Subject Re: Super slow attachment upload speed on localhost
Date Wed, 12 Feb 2014 20:30:34 GMT
All: It works fine on Windows.

I retested the large attachment upload using the latest Windows build (in VMWare).

• Windows (x86) Erlang/OTP R16B01 | Version 1.5.0

BTW, in the curl transcript, the Windows Couch build reports a ## LATER ### version of Erlang
(R16B02), not R16B01 as shown on the web site.

Server: CouchDB/1.5.0 (Erlang OTP/R16B02)

3MB < 1 sec
10 MB < 1 sec
20 MB < 1 sec
40 MB ~ 1 sec
80 MB ~ 2 sec
160 MB ~ 6 sec

There's something seriously wrong with the current Mac OS version

• Mac OS X (10.6+) Erlang/OTP R16B01 | Version 1.5.0

In the curl transcript, the Mac version reports Erlang R16B01, an earlier version than Windows

   Server: CouchDB/1.5.0 (Erlang OTP/R16B01)

What's the story between the difference on the Mac and Windows? How can I build CouchDB on
the Mac that uses the same version of Erlang (Erlang OTP/R16B02) as Windows, so I can do a
retest on the Mac.

This problem took me a day to work out. Argh.

On Feb 12, 2014, at 10:09 AM, Jason Winshell <jason@jasonwinshell.com> wrote:

> Can you please elaborate. I don't know what this means? Thanks.
>
> On Feb 12, 2014, at 10:04 AM, Alexander Shorin <kxepal@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> I believe this issue has the same reasons as COUCHDB-1986 does.
>> --
>> ,,,^..^,,,
>>

>> On Wed, Feb 12, 2014 at 9:43 PM, Robert Samuel Newson
>> <rnewson@apache.org> wrote:
>>> Try -T myrandom.dat instead of —data-binary @ to stream it without loading
it into ram.

>>> B.

when transferring from curl. Both curl and Couch are running on localhost (no network). I
switched to a curl test after seeing the same problem with Futon and the Ektorp framework.
I tried the loopback address, 127.0.0.1 too.

average upload speed is 146K/sec. What's going on? Why is Couch taking so long to process
the attachment stream?

i7