couchdb-user mailing list archives

From Volker Mische <volker.mis...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: What is the status of GeoCouch?
Date Mon, 17 Feb 2014 16:48:20 GMT
Hi Patrick,

On 02/17/2014 07:15 AM, Patrick Arlt wrote:
> I love working with CouchDB and I'm starting to think about using it in
> more applications but I often have to work with spatial data and and
> wondering what the state of GeoCouch is? The last commit was several months
> ago  (https://github.com/couchbase/geocouch/commits/master) and the readme
> makes it seem like GeoCouch is supposed to sync up with the latest CouchDB
> version but it stopped at 1.3 (
> https://github.com/couchbase/geocouch#understanding-the-branches).

The couchdb1.3.x branch works fine with Apache CouchDB 1.5.x.

> Is GeoCouch still being actively developed? Is it solid for production use?
> How does it compare to more robust spatial databases like PostGIS or the
> basic spatial support in MongoDB?

GeoCouch is still in development, though not very active at the moment.
I hope to come back full time soon. Though I don't know yet when "soon"
will be.

It's certainly not as robust as PostGIS. I don't know how well MongoDB
spatial works.

You shouldn't use Apache CouchDB with GeoCouch because you need a
spatial database. If you need a solid geospatial database use PostGIS.
But if you want the flexibility of Apache CouchDB or any of it's
features like the replication, but also need some spatial capabilities,
then you should have a look at GeoCouch.

Cheers,
  Volker