couchdb-user mailing list archives

From Scott Weber <>
Subject RE: Replication without IP connection
Date Mon, 27 Jan 2014 17:00:27 GMT
You can lauch external processes from the couch config file.  One of those could be a script
that copies the database files to the target.

If there are multiple machines and the databases must be merged, than a collection of couch
database servers on the target (central)  machine or environment (on different ports, or
running in virtual machines) can replicate the docs into the main server... think of it like
each VM is a mirror of the remote database that is radio connected.

Just my quick thoughts.

"Sent from my T-Mobile 4G LTE Device", not some else's.

-------- Original message --------
From: Aaron Huslage <>
Date: 01/27/2014  10:30 AM  (GMT-06:00)
Subject: Replication without IP connection

I have a strange problem that I'm hoping someone either has dealt with or
has ideas about solving.

We have developed a medical records system as a CouchApp that allows
clinicians in remote areas to submit medical records to a local server.
These records need to be replicated back to a central office for reporting

These remote clinics are completely disconnected from the Internet and
connect to one another over HF Radio (think ham radio back in the day). The
radio links are not really reliable or quick enough for PPP to work well,
so we are using UUCP instead of IP.

In this scenario, there is no interactive communication between nodes.
Everything is batch file copies. I need a way to do a CouchDB replication
using only file transfers and cron/inotify jobs.

Any ideas or scripts would be helpful.

Aaron Huslage
IM: GTalk -; Skype - huslage

PGP: 0x360DE590 / 30D4 B15B 74B2 F0E9 35D4  ABE0 2CB7 AC60 360D E590