couchdb-user mailing list archives

From Robert Samuel Newson <>
Subject Re: Error during compaction
Date Fri, 10 Jan 2014 13:03:20 GMT

Hrm, strike one. Ok. Next thing to try is subtly different. stop couchdb, delete the .compact
file, but then make a new, empty .compact file (so ’touch /path/to/dbname.compact’), start
couchdb and compact.

On 10 Jan 2014, at 12:42, Igor Klimer <> wrote:

> Yes, I've already done that after the very fist attempt at compaction (the one that failed
because of lack of disk space). And it resulted in the second fail (on Windows), then the
same on Linux - I always deleted the incomplete (about 50% of the database, around 50GB) .compact
file before running the compaction again. So I was always doing compaction from scratch.
> Best regards,
> Igor Klimer
Since the compaction has never completed, I suggest we redo compaction from scratch.
> 1) stop couchdb
> 2) delete (or move aside) the dbname.compact file for this database
> 3) start couchdb
> 4) compact the db
> Whether it works or not, please let us know.
> B.
> On 10 Jan 2014, at 08:25, Igor Klimer <> wrote:
>>> Given that you’re at 100Gb and compacting for the first time, can you tell
us if you were running on older couchdb versions that 1.2.0 between db creation and today?
>> No, we've been running 1.2.0 from the start (around Oct 2012), then switched to Ubuntu
and 1.5.0.
>>> Do you have free disk space?
>> Yes, there's about 150% of the DB's size worth of free space :) I forgot to mention
("OK, here we go, the user will confess to some sin he committed and is ashamed of and is
most likely the reason for this failure") that we've run the compaction once before the error
on Windows I mentioned below, but it failed because of insufficient disk space - so I double
checked before running the compaction again if there's enough space. Here's the log, if it's
any helpful:
>> Do you think it could have left the database in some corrupted state? It seems it
failed at a different part then the two next attempts (and, as far as I understand, compaction
is just copying over the database while pruning the old revisions and deleted documents).
>> Thank you for your time and help and best regards,
>> Igor Klimer
time) a large(-ish) database (~100GB at that time). At about 50% it failed with this error:
C'mon, that can't be good ;)) or already fixed in a newer version. Some time later we migrated
the server to a Linux box running Ubuntu 12.04.3 LTS (GNU/Linux 3.8.0-33-generic x86_64) and
update Couchdb to 1.5.0.
mail list but to no avail :) So if anyone can give me any pointers as to what might be causing
this problem, I'd be very grateful.
for all outgoing external mail...)
> -------------------------------
> getBACK S.A., ul. Powstańców Śląskich 2-4, 53-333 Wrocław
> Sad rejestrowy: Sąd Rejonowy dla Wrocławia - Fabrycznej, VI Wydział Gospodarczy KRS.
> Numer KRS: 0000413997
> NIP: 8992733884
> REGON: 021829989
> Wysokość kapitału zakładowego opłaconego w całości: 4 000 000,00 zł
> Zamieszczenie powyższych danych identyfikujących getBACK S.A. stosownie do art. 374
par.1 Kodeksu spółek handlowych nie jest równoznaczne z handlowym charakterem dostarczonej
do Państwa wiadomości e-mailowej i pozostaje bez wpływu na interpretacje zawartych w niej
> Niniejszy e-mail oraz wszelkie załączone do niego pliki są poufne i mogą podlegać
ochronie prawnej. Jeżeli nie jest Pan/Pani zamierzonym adresatem powyższej wiadomości,
nie może jej Pan/Pani ujawniać, kopiować, dystrybuować, ani tez w żaden inny sposób
udostępniać lub wykorzystywać. O błędnym zaadresowaniu wiadomości prosimy niezwłocznie
poinformować nadawcę i usunąć wiadomość.
> This e-mail message may contain confidential and/or privileged information. If you are
not the intended recipient (or have received this e-mail in error) please notify the sender
immediately and destroy this e-mail. Any unauthorized copying, disclosure or distribution
of the material in this e-mail is strictly forbidden.

View raw message