couchdb-user mailing list archives

From Jens Alfke <j...@couchbase.com>
Subject Re: Marketing suggestion
Date Thu, 23 Jan 2014 00:38:30 GMT

On Jan 22, 2014, at 3:23 PM, Simon Metson <simon@cloudant.com> wrote:

> Most recent posts are 1 post about Riak and 1 about Couchbase vs 8 about CouchDB, related
tooling or community events seems like a reasonable ratio to me.

That's weird. When I go to that page* I see 11 (eleven!) spam posts by 'Tahniyat Kazmi' about
topics like "the secrets to engaging readers on Twitter", "Five texts you should never send",
etc. Below that is "I am offering FREE virtual servers to help kick-start my new cloud company"
by Daniele Testa (not spam, but OT). Then finally there are some actual relevant posts, but
they're months old.

LinkedIn is a job-networking site — I can see it's useful to have a tag there for CouchDB
so people can register their interest/knowledge, but it's beyond me why people would want
to discuss it there. We already have too many actually-relevant places to discuss it, like
here, SO, the G+ group. A forum that looks abandoned sends a worse message about the technology
than not having one at all, IMHO.

—Jens

* http://www.linkedin.com/groups?gid=2006181&goback=%2Egmr_2006181