couchdb-user mailing list archives

From Robert Samuel Newson <rnew...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Replication of attachment is extremely slow
Date Thu, 23 Jan 2014 22:52:49 GMT
"So clearly, something internal is ignoring the "content_type", and examining the file contents.
Then deciding what to do about it."

There’s no such code in CouchDB. There’s a list of mime types that CouchDB will compress
and that’s it. The attachment names are not relevant to CouchDB but it’s possible that
client tools are using it to determine a mime type.

B.

On 23 Jan 2014, at 22:27, Scott Weber <scotty2541@sbcglobal.net> wrote:

> I have seen the same thing as the poster below.  Does anyone have a fix? Work around?
>
> It would seem that the database server is doing some kind of inspection of the
>
> attachments and deciding how to move them around (Based 64, UTF16, etc...).
>
> Is this the case?
>
> Here is what I tried:
> I attached a mixed content file to a document (text+binary, kind of like a PDF).  This
was about 3 meg or so. Then I triggered a replication to another database.  It took 30 seconds
to replicate it *on the same box*.

> I deleted everything, and made several repeats of the this test.
>
> I renamed the file to *.BIN, then uploaded it.  Still took too long to replicate.
>
> I renamed the file to *.TXT, then uploaded it.  Still took too long to replicate.
>
> I renamed the file to *.EXE, then uploaded it.  Still took too long to replicate.
>
> However, when I upload an *actual* executable file of about the same size, it replicates
it in about 1 second.

> In all cases, the "content_type" of the attachment was correct to the file type.
>
> So clearly, something internal is ignoring the "content_type", and examining the file
contents. Then deciding what to do about it.

> Is this expected behavior?  How can I get the system to simply pass attachments as binary
without do whatever it is doing.