couchdb-user mailing list archives

From Luca Morandini <lmorand...@ieee.org>
Subject Re: use startkey/endkey to discribe a range problem
Date Fri, 13 Dec 2013 04:31:55 GMT
On 12/12/13 14:02, Vivek Pathak wrote:

> I just mentioned my approach since it is a common misconception that
> multidimensional can not be efficiently mapped to single dimension. I found the
> solution to work very well, and it is conceptually simple also.

Back in the day, Oracle came up with Helical Hyperspatial Codes, which were
supposed to be used for multi-dimensional data (including geo-spatial ones); more
modestly what you devised is called GeoHash http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Geohash

Alas, GeoHash is not a powerful way of indexing geo-spatial data; GeoCouch uses
R-trees instead, which are better (any serious geo-spatial index uses either grids
or R-trees).

As per using multiple dimensions in the same view, Volker (the main developer of
GeoCouch) has it on his to-do list: his idea is to use n-dimensional R-trees.

Regards,

Luca Morandini
Data Architect - AURIN project
Melbourne eResearch Group
Department of Computing and Information Systems
University of Melbourne
Tel. +61 03 903 58 380
Skype: lmorandini