couchdb-user mailing list archives

From Benoit Chesneau <bchesn...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Burst PUT updates
Date Fri, 27 Dec 2013 08:49:53 GMT
On Fri, Dec 27, 2013 at 8:06 AM, Stanley Iriele <siriele2x3@gmail.com>wrote:

> Even without bulk docs...that doesn't sound right..it sounds to me like the
> library you're using is having a problem with its http client and the time
> gap in closing a connection and opening a new one. Try looking at how many
> open connections your app has when it starts to slow down.
>
> I'm guessing in the loop it tries to reuse the same TCP connection but it
> can't so it just creates a new one..? Then slowly but surely your
> application begins to die...I would override the TCP dial in the function
> to count the number of created connections or use lsof.
>
> This is often why I stay away from SDK s for couchdb... They often limit
> you more than they enable you... Your driver should be the http client
> itself not some library that wraps making the calls for you.. In my opinion
> Anyways 😀

The problem could also be be that  no framework here is used but a client.
Couchdbkit for example is reusing connections. These frameworks aren't only
"wrapping" the API call, they do much. At least for some.

Anyway the problem can indeed be that either the client or couchdb run out
of free fds. Then the system is waiting. Do you have any log in couchdb
that can help? Or from your client?

What is the limit of fds on your system ? (ulimit -n could help you on
POSIX systems) ?

- benoit