couchdb-user mailing list archives

From Robert Newson <rnew...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Is startkey_docid as scalable as startkey?
Date Thu, 05 Dec 2013 23:23:09 GMT
The question is meaningless, let me explain.

startkey_docid (and endkey_docid) are used for selecting ranges where
the view key is the same, it is *not* a separate index. Views are in
key order only.

under the covers, the true view key is actually [emitted_key_order,
doc._id], the rows are unique in the b+tree.

B.

On 5 December 2013 23:14, Nathan Vander Wilt <nate-lists@calftrail.com> wrote:
> Let's say for every doc I `emit([doc.user])` and, when a user requests a document ID
I have my middleware `GET …/docs_by_user?startkey=[req.user.name]&endkey=[req.user.name,{}]&include_docs=true&limit=1&startkey_docid=req.param.id`.
I return the row's doc or 404 if the range is empty. Basically I'm giving each user read access
to "their own" objects without having to give them their own database.

> I'm wondering though, if `startkey_docid` is as scalable as `startkey` itself. IIRC,
the doc ids are simply a final extra group level internally (clearly they determine sort order)
but if this behaves more like `&skip=lots` instead, then of course relying heavily on
the query above would be something of an anti-pattern.

> (Bonuses: If this _is_ still a reasonable solution, I'm assuming I can't simplify my
emit/query to use `&key=name&startkey_docid=id` right? Alternatively, would it be
more efficient but just-as-correct to emit plain string keys and limit my range to `&startkey=name&endkey=name+"\0"?)