couchdb-user mailing list archives

From Vivek Pathak <vpat...@orgmeta.com>
Subject Re: use startkey/endkey to discribe a range problem
Date Thu, 12 Dec 2013 03:02:31 GMT
Hi

I have been using this approach successfully via a view.  The view emits
the geokey based on latitude and longitude of the document (document has
a location).

The idea is to traverse the view in ascending and descending orders -
from a start key corresponding to center of bounding box - and to get
sufficient number of "candidates".  Then filter out what is not needed
(eg: must be within a given shape etc.)

I believe using both ascending and descending should solve the 00 and 20
problem you state below.

My best wishes for the geo couch enhancement.  No reason why it couldnt
be k dimensional as well...

I just mentioned my approach since it is a common misconception that
multidimensional can not be efficiently mapped to single dimension. I
found the solution to work very well, and it is conceptually simple also.

Thanks
Vivek

On 12/11/2013 02:22 PM, Alexander Shorin wrote:
> On Wed, Dec 11, 2013 at 11:16 PM, Florian Westreicher Bakk.techn.
> <stuff@meredrica.org> wrote:
>> That's an interesting idea but it will not work in all situations. You could not
query for areas that span multiple quadrants. If you would like to get all locations around
0,0 in a 20km square this won't work.