couchdb-user mailing list archives

From Jens Alfke <j...@couchbase.com>
Subject Re: why you should never use X
Date Wed, 13 Nov 2013 05:25:45 GMT

On Nov 12, 2013, at 10:56 AM, Kevin Coombes <kevin.r.coombes@gmail.com> wrote:

> It is also clear that part of what drives her to this conclusion is the
> design she uses of just a few massive documents.  ...  And
> so I think she fails to see the ability of well-written views to
> aggregate documents on the fly.

Right. I don’t know MongoDB, but the post indicates that she doesn’t understand how to
effectively query document databases:

>> This eliminates our duplication problem. When user data changes, there’s only one
document that gets rewritten. However, we’ve created a new problem for ourselves. Because
we’ve moved some data out of the activity streams, we can no longer construct an activity
stream from a single document. This is less efficient and more complex. Constructing an activity
stream now requires us to 1) retrieve the stream document, and then 2) retrieve all the user
documents to fill in names and avatars.

>> What’s missing from MongoDB is a SQL-style join operation, which is the ability
to write one query that mashes together the activity stream and all the users that the stream
references. Because MongoDB doesn’t have this ability, you end up manually doing that mashup
in your application code, instead.

Map/reduce views answer those issues. I don’t know if MongoDB has them, but I assume it
has something of about the same level of power since it is being used for real-world applications
where you have to do exactly this kind of querying.

This seems like a very common style of tech blog post, along the lines of “I know X very
well. I’ve been using Y, which is very different from X. I tried to solve a problem in Y
using the techniques I know from X, and it didn’t work. Therefore Y SUCKS and no one should
use it."

—Jens