couchdb-user mailing list archives

From "R.J. Steinert" ...@rjsteinert.com>
Subject How to configure a limit on simultaneous replications?
Date Tue, 26 Nov 2013 18:07:07 GMT
Hi there,
I'm running CouchDB on Raspberry Pi's in places in the developing world and
we use these servers as "messengers" that run around creating consistency
between the nodes in the network.  Problem is that there's about a dozen
databases that these messengers need to replicate when they reach a node
and when CouchDB tries to replicate them all at once, the replications
never seem to finish in a dependable fashion. Sometimes some of the
databases will finish replicating others will hang for days. Each database
is only a couple dozen KB so these replication processes aren't managing a
whole lot of data.  Testing the replication process with a 1 or 2
replications completes quickly, it seems that when all of the replication
processes initialize at once, this problem arises.

I've tried playing with the replicator configuration, but no luck limiting
the number of simultaneous replications.  Does anyone have any tips?
Perhaps I'm not configuring the replicator correctly. Perhaps simultaneous
replications isn't the issue and I should just configure the replicator in
a different way.  Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

R.J. Steinert
Open Learning Exchange
http://ole.org