couchdb-user mailing list archives

From Lance Carlson <lancecarl...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: show/list
Date Thu, 14 Nov 2013 20:32:23 GMT
I really like the idea of shows/list, and would love them even more if:

- The js interpretor was NodeJS
- There was better documentation on their use and using CommonJS and maybe
NPM modules in your couchapps.

I'm not sure why people immediately revert to the old ways of wanting to
stick a layer in front of their infrastructure to handle view generation. I
understand that the existing framework tool chains have already figure this
stuff out (Although I argue that if shows/lists were embraced with even
fuller "color" the design could become even cleaner than traditional MVC
frameworks). I am a huge proponent of modularization and SRP, so I wouldn't
mind if these features were a standalone module, but I would include them
in the bundle and make you uninstall them. It's a feature that is very
unique to couchdb and fills the very tagline advertised on the website "A
database for the web". The web is HTML. Let's embrace that fact and make
shows/lists as powerful as they can be. Let's hype them up and recode the
coolest blog/forum/HNclones using that platform and have conferences and
tell show everyone how cool we are for using the latest technology. THIS is
how innovation happens.