couchdb-user mailing list archives

From Benoit Chesneau <>
Subject Re: Product management means saying no
Date Fri, 15 Nov 2013 09:26:28 GMT
On Thu, Nov 14, 2013 at 8:44 PM, Ryan Mohr <> wrote:

> The show/list thread (posted by recently sparked an
> interesting debate.  Like Joan, I too feel that CouchDB tries to handle way
> more than it should. (Caveat -- I actually take this stance to the extreme
> believing that the couchapp behavior and utilities like futon/fauxton
> shouldn't be included in the core installation.)
> again list/shows != couchapps .

> IMO the show/list behavior is an application concern, not a database
> concern, and should be handled by the application server or client.  If you
> think of CouchDB as your database and your application server the line
> quickly gets blurry.

A database process for you the data that you query to return the results.
lists and shows are a functional way to do i. Making couchdb an hybrid
between a functional database and a document oriented dabase

> I'm curious, where does the dev team draw the line on couchdb's
> responsibilities?  The fact that it's already an api+database+services
> suggests there won't be any concrete boundaries.  All must be by design.
> Some related articles:

Innovations is about to say no. But innovations is also to recognise where
it is.  The innovation is not in a limited M/R and document store using a
btree. The innovation is what makes couchdb different from others and

- benoit