couchdb-user mailing list archives

From Benoit Chesneau <bchesn...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: show/lista
Date Fri, 15 Nov 2013 01:26:55 GMT
Le vendredi 15 novembre 2013, Filippo Fadda a écrit :

> On Nov 15, 2013, at 1:37 AM, Benoit Chesneau wrote:
> > First shows and lists can be handled in a langage different that JS.
>
> I know, I wrote a query server.

so why qre you taliking only about js ;)

> > I agree *now* you can't  "correlate data and assemble them to provide a
> > resut". But this is now. Nothing stop us to add such features. Nothing
> stop
> > us to improve it so it can be more useful. As I said previously it should
> > be easy to do it.
>
> Of course nothing stop to improve them, my criticism is always
> constructive and I'm always open to discuss and contribute, at least in
> term of design, because my Erlang knowledge actually sucks.
>
> > If I hear you you wouldn't have an new technology . lists and shows are
> not
> > a joke. You can call them unfinished concept, work in progress, but some
> > people like me consider it is serious.
>
> I don't call them unfinished and I don't find them useful, as they are,
> actually. But this can change in the future. I think show and list satisfy
> the requirements they are made for; I'm just criticizing those
> requirements, not their implementation.

you should have a look  around. maybe you could feel better how pozerfull
the lists can be even in their currently limited implementation. we need
more innternal interractions yes, but really a lot of people are using them
for other things than simply rendering a data. Withe the lists you query
your data using an index created via a view (eventually with linked docs)
and  the request param to filter and construct the final results.

> The concept of processing and transforming data is related to the concept
> > of database. All the databases does that via the queries or stored
> > procedure. Shows and lists are literally a way to query a function on
> your
> > database to retrieve some results from the data stored in it. Couchdb is
> > not yet a functional db but it can be modulo some changes.
> >
> > Example of improvement: having something like in datomic allowing you to
> > post your data with an atomic function  to make some changes on the data
> > you posted based on the current database value looks like the updates
> > function but is quite better. This is an improvement that could be done.
> >
> > In postgres you have the possibility to extend the database functions and
> > queries using foreign language wrappers. Quite similar to shows and
> lists.
> > But we should make it more efficient.
>
> Yes, I know about PostgreSQL. You are breaking through an open door. We
> are here to talk and define all together the path to improve CouchDB. A new
> protocol, a PL, I'm really open to discuss about any improvements.

you missed the point. I was making a correlation in term of
functionnalities . I don't want a new protocol or smth limited like pl/sql.
i want to have a way to add functions to interract with the database value.
This is a switch in the way you can interract with your data.