couchdb-user mailing list archives

From Benoit Chesneau <bchesn...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: show/list
Date Fri, 15 Nov 2013 00:15:34 GMT
On Fri, Nov 15, 2013 at 12:56 AM, Jens Alfke <jens@couchbase.com> wrote:

> I’m not saying the ability to postprocess query results isn’t useful. I’m
> just saying that list and show functions are a hacky way to do it. They
> remind me of old CGI programs that painstakingly assembled HTML by string
> concatenation, instead of using something like a template language. And the
> fact that they’re manipulating the results in text form makes them
> inefficient and prone to errors. Ideally you’d transform the data directly
> as objects instead of having to convert them into text that then gets
> parsed by something else.

gnii? You still don't get the point of shows and lists. So far shows and
list are no more than a way to transform your data using  a program .
Something that is done by the sql server when you query it. Except you
don't have the possibility to change the way you can query it or write a
new way to process the data and query it from your client app in the sql
server (if you except postgres and oracle). Shows and lists allows that.
the implementation is not efficient neither perfect yet. But that's not a
reason to consider it useless. Just that it should be improved.