couchdb-user mailing list archives

From Alexander Shorin <kxe...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: show/list
Date Thu, 14 Nov 2013 19:08:17 GMT
On Thu, Nov 14, 2013 at 9:58 PM, Filippo Fadda
<filippo.fadda@programmazione.it> wrote:
> They are simply useless, in fact I didn't implement (yet) them in ElephantOnCouch library
because I don't see any use case for them.

- Provide different from JSON response to clients: browsers,
non-couchdb clients (mostly xml driven), etc.
- Transform response without sharing same logic with every client.
For instance, you have several document schemes, suddenly, you can
easily convert documents with new schema to old one and that's the
moment when show functions helps. For list functions you may apply
some generic behaviour for static view results (e.g. additional
filtering by user request)

> If you are using Ruby, Python, PHP, you'll never produce HTML directly from CouchDB,
because there are frameworks in plenty with template engines aimed to do the job.

Oh, get ready to be smashed by Javascript guys - there are a lot of
tools to make rich JS couchapps (:

--