couchdb-user mailing list archives

From Alexander Shorin <kxe...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: show/list
Date Thu, 14 Nov 2013 20:34:40 GMT
On Fri, Nov 15, 2013 at 12:06 AM, Filippo Fadda
<filippo.fadda@programmazione.it> wrote:

> On Nov 14, 2013, at 8:08 PM, Alexander Shorin wrote:
>
>> On Thu, Nov 14, 2013 at 9:58 PM, Filippo Fadda
>> - Provide different from JSON response to clients: browsers,
>> non-couchdb clients (mostly xml driven), etc.
>
> You can do them in PHP or Ruby. In Rails you need 2 lines of code.
> I'm not gonna to expose my database just to serve some different client, all the urls
are handled by a web server and I will serve any client from the web server. Security, consistence,
scalability.

Why I do need PHP or Ruby, when CouchDB is able to do the same without
them?(: Having yet another technology in whole system only raises his
complexity and reduced fault tolerance.

>> - Transform response without sharing same logic with every client.
>
> You are missing something here. In a modern application all clients are handled by the
same web application. The application provide the right answer in function of the caller.
Browser will receive HTML, rss consumers will receive XML, third part applications will receive
JSON from APIs.

So, your show/list function returns right content depending on Accept
header or format query parameter. See no problem there.

>> Oh, get ready to be smashed by Javascript guys - there are a lot of
>> tools to make rich JS couchapps (:
>
> I know, but as Joan wrote in his presentation, if you are using a framework (Rails, Django,
Phalcon, Zend Framework, Symfony, Sinatra, Bottle, Lavarel and many others), those handlers
are useless, at least for the purpose described in the documentation. You don't need them,
you are just gonna complicate your life.

Yes, if I'm using any mentioned framework I'll better take Postgresql
(omg, what I'm say!) since now my database is just database, not
application server like CouchDB is.

P.S. We have different use cases and there are different requirement
are applied to CouchDB to his features. Like with those Postgresql why
do you need PL/pgSQL feature when you can do the same on your app
side?