couchdb-user mailing list archives

From Jens Alfke <j...@couchbase.com>
Subject Re: Product management means saying no
Date Fri, 15 Nov 2013 18:51:23 GMT

On Nov 15, 2013, at 10:03 AM, Jeff Lowery <jeff.l@mavericklabel.com> wrote:

> What I would like is the ability to specify a view that takes a key/value map.  Behind
that view would be indexes for n number of k-v pairs in that map in any permutation order.
E.g.:

A view _is_ an index. The emit() function is literally adding individual key/value pairs to
the generated b-tree index. If you want multiple indexes, you create multiple views.

It wouldn’t be hard to write a wrapper function in your code to generate the views for the
multiple permuted indexes you’re asking for.

> I realize that the permute param results in a factorial # of views (permuting 5 k-v pairs
= 120 views); what is the practical limit?  I assume it would depend on the # of documents
in a db.

Yeah, this would become ridiculous pretty quickly. Especially since I’d wager that most
clients would only want a handful of the huge number of indexes produced. It’s much better
to explicitly generate the indexes you need, since there is significant overhead to producing
and updating them.

—Jens