couchdb-user mailing list archives

From Filippo Fadda <filippo.fa...@programmazione.it>
Subject Re: show/list
Date Fri, 15 Nov 2013 01:08:59 GMT

On Nov 15, 2013, at 1:37 AM, Benoit Chesneau wrote:
> First shows and lists can be handled in a langage different that JS.

I know, I wrote a query server.

> I agree *now* you can't  "correlate data and assemble them to provide a
> resut". But this is now. Nothing stop us to add such features. Nothing stop
> us to improve it so it can be more useful. As I said previously it should
> be easy to do it.

Of course nothing stop to improve them, my criticism is always constructive and I'm always
open to discuss and contribute, at least in term of design, because my Erlang knowledge actually
sucks.

> If I hear you you wouldn't have an new technology . lists and shows are not
> a joke. You can call them unfinished concept, work in progress, but some
> people like me consider it is serious.

I don't call them unfinished and I don't find them useful, as they are, actually. But this
can change in the future. I think show and list satisfy the requirements they are made for;
I'm just criticizing those requirements, not their implementation.

> The concept of processing and transforming data is related to the concept
> of database. All the databases does that via the queries or stored
> procedure. Shows and lists are literally a way to query a function on your
> database to retrieve some results from the data stored in it. Couchdb is
> not yet a functional db but it can be modulo some changes.
>
> Example of improvement: having something like in datomic allowing you to
> post your data with an atomic function  to make some changes on the data
> you posted based on the current database value looks like the updates
> function but is quite better. This is an improvement that could be done.
>
> In postgres you have the possibility to extend the database functions and
> queries using foreign language wrappers. Quite similar to shows and lists.
> But we should make it more efficient.

Yes, I know about PostgreSQL. You are breaking through an open door. We are here to talk and
define all together the path to improve CouchDB. A new protocol, a PL, I'm really open to
discuss about any improvements.

-Filippo