couchdb-user mailing list archives

From Filippo Fadda <filippo.fa...@programmazione.it>
Subject Re: show/list
Date Thu, 14 Nov 2013 23:48:15 GMT

On Nov 14, 2013, at 10:49 PM, Stanley Iriele wrote:

> That argument ca be made about just about any software design..but
> CouchDB has this very nice separation of "what you get back" vs "what is
> stored". If i have a gian document and I want an array of of say player
> installs from my document..why should i load up the entire thing when i
> only need a small tid bit of it?....If i had a class document and i wanted
> the first 3 students..why then should I pull out other needless information
> from the database?...

If you have a giant document, there is something wrong in your design. If you have a 'class'
document, you don't store the students inside the 'class', but you store a single document
per student.

> ...when people come from the LAMP stack world they get very nervous about
> rethinking the delegation of responsibilities...One thing that i keep
> seeing is..."I dont need a server in the middle because list/shows takes
> care of it"....then the following is "they do not replace app
> serves"...this is a strange argument but so sum it up...app servers are not
> replaced by list show functions and should not be...there are times when
> all your need is a few random calls and MAYBE..for some cases you don't
> need one....but to be honest they can exist in both spaces just fine...

I'm not nervous :-) and I don't come directly from LAMP. I'm 37 years old and I wrote almost
everything: drivers, windows shell extensions, client server apps, three tier apps, I have
used object oriented databases, etc. What I see here is that just a simple join can't be done
using a show or a list. And if I can't make a join, the "CouchApp Server" doesn't fit my needs,
because I can't write any serious application. I think the "CouchApp Server" idea is cool,
but the actual implementation is weak. And I think, IMO, that CouchDB is still primarily a
database and not an application server. But this is just my vision.

-Filippo