couchdb-user mailing list archives

From Jens Alfke <j...@couchbase.com>
Subject Re: show/list
Date Thu, 14 Nov 2013 21:46:26 GMT

On Nov 14, 2013, at 9:58 AM, Filippo Fadda <filippo.fadda@programmazione.it> wrote:

> Any application that uses CouchDB as a pure database doesn't need show and list handlers.
They are simply useless, in fact I didn't implement (yet) them in ElephantOnCouch library
because I don't see any use case for them. And I'm not sure if I will never implement them,
probably not.

Yup, same thing with TouchDB and Couchbase Lite — there wasn’t any need for them so I
didn’t implement them. They’re not part of the database, they’re part of a web app server.
IMHO it would be cleaner to have a sharp dividing line between the two.

(Of course you can do stuff with these handlers other than generating HTML for web pages.
Just as you can do all kinds of crazy stuff with the C preprocessor. Doesn’t mean that’s
the best way to do it…)

—Jens