couchdb-user mailing list archives

From Will Perry <Will.Pe...@microsoft.com>
Subject RE: view_duplicate_id chaos
Date Fri, 15 Nov 2013 21:44:09 GMT
I'm wondering how duplicate doc ids could have got there, tho- how is it even possible for
2 docs to have the same id? Shouldn't the second PUT result in a 409?

If the error message is correct (and lets just assume that it is) then we have duplicate doc
ids. While we can delete and rebuild the views, this takes about 8 hours and isn't something
we can afford to be doing continuously in production :)

I'd like to try and figure out the root cause for this problem and try to apply a fix to prevent
it occurring again in the future - any pointers?

Cheers,

Will

-----Original Message-----
From: Tim Tisdall [mailto:tisdall@gmail.com]
Sent: Friday, November 15, 2013 1:31 PM
To: user@couchdb.apache.org
Subject: Re: view_duplicate_id chaos

Do you have duplicate doc ids in your data??

I think the view is just corrupted and needs to be deleted and recreated from scratch.

-Tim

On Fri, Nov 15, 2013 at 4:17 PM, Will Perry <Will.Perry@microsoft.com> wrote:
> Hi Folks-
>
> In a fairly large DB (~8GB) we're seeing crashes, compaction failures and index rebuilds
as a result of duplicate doc ids. A selection of related traces includes:

> [error] [<0.2990.111>] Compaction daemon - an error ocurred while compacting the
view group `System` from database `servicebus`: {view_duplicate_id,

> <<"test:-vM0xyKZdeSMCIukpTchI3ZeKhk">>}
>
> [error] [<0.7103.113>] Duplicate docid `test:-vM0xyKZdeSMCIukpTchI3ZeKhk` detected
in view group `_design/System`, database `servicebus` - This view needs to be rebuilt.

> Can anyone help me understand what's happening here? How can we avoid getting into this
situation, and is there a best-practice to resolve it?