couchdb-user mailing list archives

From "matt j. sorenson" <m...@sorensonbros.net>
Subject Re: osqa
Date Thu, 31 Oct 2013 20:14:16 GMT
On Thu, Oct 31, 2013 at 3:05 PM, Mark Deibert <mark.deibert@gmail.com>wrote:

> @Filippo and a couple others: Are you arguing that it would be acceptable
> to forcibly close and eliminate all other programming communities because
> SO/SE is so absolutely perfect that we don't need any other online
> communities?

I am certainly not saying that, no, not at all. Perhaps I came off that
way, I'm told I play the devil's advocate[1] role pretty well ;)

> If we have someone to set it up and it can be managed by users, I vote for
> a stand-alone CouchDB community. It can then generate it's own ad income.
> Give that money to the guys busting their butts building CouchDB!

Yeah, again, I'm not taking a position against taking it in-house. I just
would rather not see it detract from the community's core competency of
improving couchdb. And it doesnt have to... the community will grow and
with it, the pool of talent and ways to contribute will also grow. Hell,
awhile back, I started in on an "aggregator to trump all aggregators"
portal thinger... based around commentary in one of these ML threads. I
didn't stick with it, but the idea still intrigues me.

[1] Not in the same tier as Lonesome Dove, but also a good movie