couchdb-user mailing list archives

From Filippo Fadda <filippo.fa...@programmazione.it>
Subject Re: osqa
Date Thu, 31 Oct 2013 20:47:47 GMT
On Oct 31, 2013, at 9:05 PM, Mark Deibert wrote:
> @Filippo and a couple others: Are you arguing that it would be acceptable
> to forcibly close and eliminate all other programming communities because
> SO/SE is so absolutely perfect that we don't need any other online
> communities? Do you understand that your SO "reputation" doesn't put any
> money in your pockets, just in SO's? It's a meaningless number ;-)

I really don't have any SO reputation and I don't care to have any, I'm just saying it's a
good service and I find it useful, like Gmail, Dropbox and many others. You can chose to have
your own mail server, spending time to maintain it, or you can relay on Gmail. This is just
an example.
There are over 8000 CouchDB question already tagged on SO, it's pretty easy find results when
you just use Google, and some people, not all, are stimulated to answer by the reputation
mechanism.
I don't think SO should be the only programming community, but I think it's better for the
CouchDB contributors to focus on CouchDB itself, using external services when they are available.
StackOverflow is the most cheap option, Discourse can be another, a little more expensive
(you need to host it somewhere, to upgrade when a new version come out, and you also need
some mods), OSQA is gonna probably require a major effort because it's not maintained anymore.

> If we have someone to set it up and it can be managed by users, I vote for
> a stand-alone CouchDB community. It can then generate it's own ad income.
> Give that money to the guys busting their butts building CouchDB!

I'm in the advertising business, my site earned over 700K € in the last 10 years, but to
make some real money from advertising you need traffic and direct clients, media center relations,
etc. Forget to make money with Google AdSense. The only one that earn money from Google AdSense
is Google itself.

-Filippo