couchdb-user mailing list archives

From Calle Arnesten <calle.arnes...@codekick.com>
Subject Re: Bug? Database compaction keeps re-running continuously on CouchDB 1.4
Date Sat, 05 Oct 2013 06:43:51 GMT
I tested to change the db_fragmentation to different levels. If I raise it to 70% the compaction
stops, but for 60% and lower it keeps running all the time.

So there seems to be something weird with how CouchDB calculates the fragmentation level.
As I said, I have a large percentage of deleted documents in the database, so perhaps it is
not including them correctly in the calculation? It could definitely be near 70% of the database
size that is deleted documents.

On Fri, Oct 4, 2013, at 10:17, Calle Arnesten wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I recently upgraded from CouchDB 1.2 to 1.4. I have noticed that the database compaction
is running more or less all the time during the allowed compaction time. Is there a known
issue for this with 1.4?

> The compaction is completed on each run and the reported database size is smaller on
the first run during the compaction time. But then it starts again for the same database,
and when completed, starts again, etc. It's like it thinks that the database is still fragmented
even if it's not.

> The databases are quite large (~5GB), so it's not the case that many documents have had
time to change during the compaction time.