couchdb-user mailing list archives

From Dave Cottlehuber <...@jsonified.com>
Subject Re: Reducing dependencies of couchdb-*.rpm
Date Fri, 02 Aug 2013 08:31:08 GMT
On 1 August 2013 09:41, Stock, Ingemar <Ingemar.Stock@philotech.de> wrote:
> Hi Peter,
>
> there is no technical reason to do this but I'm working in the aviation industry and
there is the philosophy: put only things in the aircraft you really need. This should improve
reliability and reduce vulnerability. I have to argue why I need a library/package and I'm
having problems to argue why I need libX11 etc. The few megabytes are not my problem my problem
it's the environment I'm working.

Is it possible to get rpm not to depend on a full GUI erlang install?
This is likely what pulls in most of the X11* related stuff. This is
standard/possible on debian etc but I don't know how the split is done
for redhat-alike distros.

Alternatively, if you're in the Aviation industry consider rolling
your own release with this erlang
https://www.erlang-solutions.com/downloads/download-erlang-otp  and
the spidermonkey from http://bigcouch.cloudant.com/use .

A+