couchdb-user mailing list archives

From Jens Alfke <j...@couchbase.com>
Subject Re: Erlang vs JavaScript
Date Fri, 16 Aug 2013 15:16:42 GMT

On Aug 15, 2013, at 10:14 AM, Jason Smith <jhs@apache.org> wrote:

> To restate my final sentence which you quoted: Accessing a view is an index
> scan, it hardly matters what the total data size is; therefore after the
> building period, all views are basically always instantly available.

You’re missing my point, Jason. Introducing an arbitrary “building period” implies you
don’t care about the latency between a database update and when it becomes visible in view
queries. As I said, that may be allowable in some types of applications, but definitely not
all. To repeat my example, an e-commerce customer is not going to tolerate any “building
period” longer than a second or two in between their clicking “Add To Cart” and the
item showing up in their cart.

—Jens