couchdb-user mailing list archives

From Jens Alfke <j...@couchbase.com>
Subject Which revisions does _revs_limit prune?
Date Sat, 31 Aug 2013 18:02:43 GMT
The only description I can find about revs_limit is "the maximum number of document revisions
that will be tracked by CouchDB, even after compaction has occurred." Nothing I've been able
to find online says which revisions are thrown out to reach this limit — it could be the
oldest ones, or the ones most deeply buried, for example.

I’m guessing it’s most likely the oldest [earliest added] revisions, but it’s not always
clear what those are. For example, if a document with a big rev tree gets replicated into
this database, all of its revisions are the same age as far as the local db is concerned,
because they all got added in the same PUT operation.

Anyone know for sure?

—Jens