couchdb-user mailing list archives

From Bill Foshay <bill.fos...@noteandgo.com>
Subject Scaling with filtered replication
Date Tue, 09 Jul 2013 15:36:59 GMT
I was reading somewhere recently that filtered replication with couchdb
doesn't scale well and I was wondering if someone could verify whether this
was true and if so, is there was a better way for us to architect our backend?
Our company currently has a central couchdb on Iris Couch that houses all of
our clients' data. Each of our clients also have their own couchdb, that
replicates with this central db. The client dbs pull with a persistent
filtered replication (so that they only pull their domain data, and they only
pull the last two weeks worth of report data). They also have a persistent
push replication set up to the central db. While the central db contains all
domain and historical data, the individual client dbs only contain their
domain data and the last two weeks worth of report related data. Each client
generates about 5GB of data per year (roughly 100000 docs and 300000 doc
updates). We only have a few clients at this point so we haven't really
noticed any problems but if this design is going to have problems scaling, I'd
rather hold off on sales and make changes now. Is there a flaw in this
approach or a better way to do things? I appreciate any help or advice!

Thanks,
Bill