couchdb-user mailing list archives

From Filippo Fadda <filippo.fa...@programmazione.it>
Subject Re: Is this use case correct for Couchdb
Date Wed, 24 Jul 2013 18:54:34 GMT
Use Redis. You can decide exactly when a key is expired. But it's not a documental database,
it's key/value store. They are different products.

On Jul 24, 2013, at 6:59 AM, Richard Schmidt wrote:

> Thanks for that - is sounds like CouchDb is not a good solution.
>
> Can you recommend a Nosql db that is a better fit?

analysis, not any of the multiversioning / replication / conflict handling features CouchDB
is good at.

>> How will couchDB perform if you are continually deleting old data?
>
> This is a weak point. Deleting basically just means adding a new revision with a "_deleted"
property, so it doesn't free up any space. Compacting frees up the space occupied by old revisions
but leaves the revision tree metadata, so you don't get all the space back. To really get
rid of old data completely requires the "_purge" command.

>> How often would you need to run the compacting command? Does it have an effect on
the database performance?

> You won't recover any disk space until you compact. The file format is append-only, so
a database can only grow until it's rewritten by a compact. Compaction is highly I/O intensive
since it copies all of the remaining data, so if I/O is a bottleneck in your setup it can
affect performance.

>> What would happen if you (say) simply removed the old data files from the couchdb
data directory? (I suspect all hell will break loose)

> This question doesn't make sense, because database records/documents aren't stored in
individual files. There is one file that stores the entire database.