couchdb-user mailing list archives

From Dave Cottlehuber <...@jsonified.com>
Subject Re: What's the best way to replicate a couple of big databases
Date Thu, 18 Jul 2013 15:42:10 GMT
On 18 July 2013 15:59, Rao, Zhiqing <zrao@qti.qualcomm.com> wrote:
> Hi Guys,
>
> I have a dozen of big databases which are about 100 Mb ~ 2GB, in win7 host( I can move
to linux server later) , and want them to be replicated daily to another
> Couch server. However, I tried the following ways:
>
> 1)      Create the corresponding docs in the _replicator database in futon, it works
one by one, but sometimes the erl.exe crash and I

> Have to restart couchdb;

Welcome Zhiqing,

This shouldn't happen if you're running couchdb as a service, and
these databases are definitely smaller than ones I've used in the past
without issues.

- are you running as a service?
- exactly which windows is this on?
- what couchdb release & what erlang release?
- can you switch debug level logging on (for a brief period of time,
it doesn't require a restart but it does generate a lot of logs)

curl -XGET http://admin:passwd@localhost:5984/_config/log/level
- note this parameter down and use later on as your_level below
curl -XPUT http://admin:passwd@localhost:5984/_config/log/level -d '"debug"'
- initiate your replications
- after issue turns up, apply your old config back again
curl -XPUT http://admin:passwd@localhost:5984/_config/log/level -d
'"your_level"'

NB I'm not at a windows box right now to confirm if the quoting works
or not, check http://wiki.apache.org/couchdb/Quirks_on_Windows for the
details.

Then please open a JIRA ticket with the logs; you should confirm there
are no passwords or related confidential info (network names etc)
present in the logs, along with curl -XGET
http://admin:passwd@localhost:5984/_config/replicator and the
replication you are using, and a rough estimate of average size of
docs & details on attachments, and any other useful info like %mem
used etc.

A+
Dave