couchdb-user mailing list archives

From "Yves S. Garret" <yoursurrogate...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Trying to wrap my head around CouchDB
Date Tue, 16 Jul 2013 20:10:49 GMT
On Tue, Jul 16, 2013 at 4:03 PM, Alexander Shorin <kxepal@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> > 1 - How is data represented in CouchDB as compared to MySQL?  How can I
> create (or visualize in my head) multiple tuples of the same type of data
> (as in a table that has columns of specific types and then each entry is a
> row)?
>
> Nohow. These are two very different databases with different
> approaches to store and work with data. Forget about MySQL's
> relations, sql itself, tuples and field of sets algebra. Think in
> document-oriented way.
>
> > If I need to store multiple orders in a system (where the data looks
> roughly the same, how would that look?
> Each order as a separate document.
>
> > 2 - How is binary data handled inside of CouchDB?  As in, how is data
> stored inside of CouchDB and then used (text and binary)?
> Deep inside CouchDB stores data on disk in Erlang binary terms, but
> for public it works with JSON: accepts JSON data and returns JSON
> data. So as you know JSON is not friendly for binary data, but there
> is special case store binary data as document's attachments. See docs
> for their API:
> http://docs.couchdb.org/en/latest/api/documents.html#get-db-doc-attachment
> http://wiki.apache.org/couchdb/HTTP_Document_API#Attachments
>
> > 3 - Is this something that will be explained later in the book or did I
> miss something important?
> Sure it will (; But also you'd missed attachments section:
> http://guide.couchdb.org/draft/api.html#attachments
>

> --
> ,,,^..^,,,
>

> On Tue, Jul 16, 2013 at 11:51 PM, Yves S. Garret
> <yoursurrogategod@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I've recently picked up this book:
> > http://guide.couchdb.org/editions/1/en/index.html
> >
> > I've read Part I and so far so good.  However, as I'm going through the
> > book, I'm having some
> > nagging concerns.  Here are the questions that I have:
> > 1 - How is data represented in CouchDB as compared to MySQL?  How can I
> > create (or visualize in
> > my head) multiple tuples of the same type of data (as in a table that has
> > columns of specific types
> > and then each entry is a row)?  If I need to store multiple orders in a
> > system (where the data looks
> > roughly the same, how would that look?
> > 2 - How is binary data handled inside of CouchDB?  As in, how is data
> > stored inside of CouchDB
> > and then used (text and binary)?
> > 3 - Is this something that will be explained later in the book or did I
> > miss something important?
> >
> > Thanks in advance.

Ok.  Say in MySQL I have an orders table, a customers table and an items
table (where the stuff that I want to sell is located).  How would this
look like
in CouchDB?

So you would have each customer, order and items document, but how would
you differentiate between the 3 types of documents?

I realize that this is not the same as MySQL, but I'm trying to find the
relationships
(and model them in my head) as to how I could do the same thing in CouchDB.