couchdb-user mailing list archives

From Alexander Shorin <kxe...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Best Choice for redundant production environment?
Date Wed, 17 Jul 2013 18:54:58 GMT
It's always good to keep somewhere another node that will act as
backup for master one. The backup process could be set via persistent
continuous replications by using replicator db.

But for common case, a bit better to follow "rule of three" in
production : one active master instance, one slave that will become
master when previous one fall and one backup instance that will
restore fallen master without causing additional load on active
instances. Customize scheme to fit your environment, loads and needs.

In my production experience for 2 years of uptime there was never need
in backup/restore process - CouchDB just worked and well, but still
but it's better to be prepared for the worst cases since everything
could happened (hardware problems, bad sectors, etc.).

--
,,,^..^,,,

On Wed, Jul 17, 2013 at 10:41 PM, Dan Santner <dansantner@me.com> wrote:
> I'm about to put together my production environment using couchdb as the backend.  I've
been running my test environment on a single linux node (couchdb ver 1.2) for about a year
without even restarting it once!  That activity has actually been more than I can imagine
in our production environment, however, I'm nervous about going into production running a
single node.

> So...my question to you guys is this?  Do I look into running big couch, and does that
even handle redundancy or just sharding?  Do I simply setup two nodes and let them cross replicate?
 Cross replication just seems ripe for problems, but I've never tried it so I'm asking you
all what you'd do.

> My production traffic will not be high by any measure.  There will be bursts of activity
but as mentioned, nothing a single node hasn't been able to handle so far.