couchdb-user mailing list archives

From Richard Schmidt <Richard.Schm...@metservice.com>
Subject RE: Is this use case correct for Couchdb
Date Thu, 25 Jul 2013 02:11:51 GMT
Your idea of keeping all the forecasts for (say) a month in a separate database is neat! We
could then simply delete a moths worth of data by simply dropping the relevant database.

If we first made a copy of the database file before dropping it from couchDB, is it possible
to reload the database file copy into another couchDb instance? This would allow us to create
an  archive our old data in case someone suddenly decides that they need some very old forecast
for auditing reasons.

-----Original Message-----
From: Filippo Fadda [mailto:filippo.fadda@programmazione.it]
Sent: Thursday, 25 July 2013 10:14 a.m.
To: user@couchdb.apache.org
Subject: Re: Is this use case correct for Couchdb

I don't know if can be an option for you, but you can use separate databases per forecast,
and when don't you need them anymore, you simply delete them.

CouchDB is an append only database, the only way to remove revisions and deleted documents
is through a compaction, but still some information remain. The alternative is purge every
single document revision and then run a compaction. But you can't specify an expiring date
for your documents. You can do it creating a view in which you store the expiration date,
but you'll need a script to purge documents querying the view using as key the expiration
date.

CouchDB doesn't do it automatically.

-Filippo

On Jul 24, 2013, at 11:36 PM, Richard Schmidt wrote:

> We are currently using a Oracle DB. A very expensive, and surprisingly unreliable way
of storing documents. Out super reliable oracle appliance died and took out business with
it. http://www.nbr.co.nz/article/metservice-promises-mid-morning-return-ck-141662

> My gut feeling is that there has to be a better way.
>
> CouchDb appears to be a perfect fit for our needs except that we don't want to keep years
and years of old data that non-one is interested in.