couchdb-user mailing list archives

From Jim Klo <jim....@sri.com>
Subject Re: is it safe to delete the log file?
Date Tue, 30 Jul 2013 21:08:32 GMT
when you built/installed couchdb… there should be a logrotated config file that was generated
somewhere that you either need to link or copy into /etc/logrotate.d/couchdb:

Here's the template file:
https://github.com/apache/couchdb/blob/master/etc/logrotate.d/couchdb.tpl.in

you could probably just cut/paste and update the contents of this (which is just the path
to your couchdb log directory) straight into /etc/logrotate.d/...

also the safest way to truncate just about any log file is:

	sudo cat /dev/null > /path/to/your/logfile.log

As it doesn't confuse any existing open file handles usually…

This is all assuming you are running on some Linux variant.

- JK

Jim Klo
Senior Software Engineer
Center for Software Engineering
SRI International
t.	@nsomnac

On Jul 30, 2013, at 1:51 PM, Dan Santner <dansantner@me.com>
 wrote:

> I know that sounds silly but....I've done that kind of thing before and really regretted
it afterwards.  So I'm asking you all.  Can I simply whack the couch.log file and trust that
couch will handle that gracefully?

> I've been using the same couchdb process for over a year now (maybe restarted it like
4 times) locally and noticed my log file is over 2G!