couchdb-user mailing list archives

From Paul Hirst <paul.hi...@sophos.com>
Subject Purging documents and view invalidation
Date Fri, 05 Jul 2013 07:37:19 GMT
I would like to purge a few (~100 million) documents from my database. I've been going through
deleting them all, and that'll be complete in the next few days but I would like to free up
some extra space by purging them also.

My concern is around a comment on the wiki page here http://wiki.apache.org/couchdb/Purge_Documents

'If you have purged more than one document between querying your views, you will find that
they will rebuild from scratch.'

Since I have already deleted the documents I know they aren't showing up in the view any longer.
Is there any way I can avoid this view invalidation? (My views take about 10 days to build
from scratch so I can't afford the hit).

I have a replica of the database. I could do the purge on the replica, wait for the view to
rebuild, switch over, purge on the original db, wait for the view, switch back, unless there
are any obvious problems with this approach?

Cheers,
Paul

Sophos Limited, The Pentagon, Abingdon Science Park, Abingdon, OX14 3YP, United Kingdom.
Company Reg No 2096520. VAT Reg No GB 991 2418 08.