couchdb-user mailing list archives

From Jens Alfke <j...@couchbase.com>
Subject Re: Update (Erlang) Android-Couchbase Viable?
Date Sat, 20 Jul 2013 00:14:49 GMT

On Jul 19, 2013, at 1:22 AM, Huber Hermann <Hermann.Huber@ait.ac.at<mailto:Hermann.Huber@ait.ac.at>>
wrote:

I'm also using the rather old mobile version on android devices and ask myself if it's a good
deal to replace it with couchbase lite (didn't test it yet). Are there any plans to release
and possibly maintain a mobile version of couchdb?

In my (biased) opinion, you should definitely switch to Couchbase Lite. The Android version
is still pre-release, but Traun Leyden is working on it full-time now and making a lot of
progress. You could also look at PouchDB.

CouchDB is inherently going to be bigger and slower than a more-native equivalent. In our
experience there is quite a lot of overhead to running an Erlang VM on a mobile device, especially
since Erlang has a fairly slow interpreter without any JIT optimizations.

—Jens