couchdb-user mailing list archives

From Jens Alfke <j...@couchbase.com>
Subject Re: Is CouchDB a good fit?
Date Wed, 24 Jul 2013 22:29:14 GMT

On Jul 24, 2013, at 1:09 PM, Berny Zamora <berny.zamora@gmail.com> wrote:

> The idea is to create a
> "to do" app using phonegap for iOS (iphone, ipad) and Android. Users
> will have a local datastore (via pouchdb) and they could synchronize
> their data to other devices they own.

That would work well. Or you could use Couchbase Lite (formerly TouchDB) — it has a plugin
for PhoneGap.

> databases (not sure if that is the right term)  but I wanted to pose
> the question before investing more time into my research. Also, and
> probably obvious is only the user's private data would sync across
> their devices.

With CouchDB you’ll need to provision a server-side database for each user, otherwise all
the users will have access to each other’s data. (You could use a filtered replication with
a single database, so only the user’s data would be synced, but there’d be nothing preventing
someone from seeing other user’s data by querying the CouchDB directly.)

Couchbase is working on a CouchDB-compatible sync server (the Sync Gateway) that has finer-grained
access control, so you could use a single database and still keep user data private. You could
also set up to-do lists that multiple users could collaborate on, for example.

https://github.com/couchbaselabs/LiteGap
https://github.com/couchbaselabs/sync_gateway

—Jens