couchdb-user mailing list archives

From "N S Cuka" <nsc...@gmail.com>
Subject Reduce overflow errors when number of documents >= 10?
Date Tue, 02 Jul 2013 02:19:52 GMT
Hello Everyone,

I am having a strange problem with my views in Couch DB 1.3.  When I have 10
or more documents in my database, for some reason my views are bombing out
with "reduce_overflow_error".  The views in question (which work fine when
n=9 documents) are both called with reduce=false.  The views are very simple
and simply select out a document based on type. E.g.:

<pre>

                if( doc.type == 'set') {

                                emit(doc._id, doc.name);

                }

</pre>

The error is reproducible when the number of documents (of any type, not
just type=="set") gets to 10 and disappears when the number goes back to 9.
Do I need to set the [query_server_config] reduce_limit = false server
parameter to get this to work? It seems strange that 10 is the magic number
and this is probably an important clue that I can't quite pick up on.

The other odd thing is that if I go into futon, go to the view, and put in a
simple reduce function (just returning null), then the view will temporarily
work (just in futon though).  If I push the same function through Erica then
I get the same error back or try to access the view that is working in futon
through a REST call, it still bombs. This makes me wonder if there is some
kind of encoding issue that is causing problems, but I can't see where that
would come into play.  This is an example of a query string that I am using
from my couchapp:

http://localhost:5984/cuka/_design/testCouch/_view/allSets?reduce=false

TIA for any advice.

-          N