couchdb-user mailing list archives

From Jason Smith <...@apache.org>
Subject Re: iriscouch and nodejitsu
Date Thu, 06 Jun 2013 09:23:29 GMT
Hi, Paul. I was part of that deal.

What I know for sure: Nodejitsu shares the same values about CouchDB that
Iris Couch has. Specifically, there should be a way for anybody to try out
Apache CouchDB easily. The world needs trivial CouchDB test drives.

Can Nodejitsu promise this (or any!) policy perpetually? No. It's a
startup, a ship in a storm. In fact, between you and me, before the
Nodejitsu opportunity came along, we were in the middle of revising the
billing policy ourselves. Don't worry, it was even better. Hey, we were
doing "your log file is your receipt" back before it was cool. We're over
that now. :P

Also note that Nodejitsu gives free accounts to open source projects, so
that is a way to use Iris Couch (we supply the CouchDB in that stack) for
free when it could potentially exceed the Iris Couch "retail" deal. (Only
for open source though, obviously.)

I am the Nodejitsu CTO. I am a CouchDB committer and sit on the project
management committee.  I like CouchDB not because it is RESTful, not
because it uses HTTP, not because of JavaScript or map/reduce; not because
it is so, so fast. I believe the replication model facilitates a
fundamentally moral way to architect software, because the amount, the
location, and the ownership of data has become the dominant factor in the
ethics of software. In other words, it would be nice if people had more
visibility and involvement with the data about themselves.

You don't have to agree with me (few do). But maybe that gives the flavor
of decision-making at Nodejitsu.