couchdb-user mailing list archives

From Robert Newson <rnew...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Apache couchDB CA signed certificate issues
Date Wed, 12 Jun 2013 14:01:27 GMT
I'd recommend haproxy 1.5 anyway, I've never been a big fan of
erlang's built-in SSL support (and it has a fairly yucky history of
bugs).

B.

On 11 June 2013 16:48, Andrew Kew <Andrew.Kew@fitchlearning.com> wrote:
> Hi
>
> I am running an Apache CouchDB instance (version 1.3.0) on an Ubuntu 12.10 server in
the cloud (AWS). I am trying to get SSL working on my couchDB instance.

> The basic SSL setup is very easy. I have placed my certificate and key in a directory
and uncommented the following lines in my local.ini file

through - test link: http://www.digicert.com/help/) I get the following error:

> The server is not sending the required intermediate certificate.
>
> When purchasing the SSL certificate I obtained an intermediate certificate from DigiCert
and have downloaded the root cert for DigiCert as well.

> In the local.ini config file for couchDB you can use these with the following configuration
fields:

> verify_ssl_certificates = true
> cacert_file = xxxx
> My problem is that I cant get this to work and have tried every possible combination
to get this to work. Here is what I have tried:

> Tried setting cacert_file to the intermediate cert from DigiCert
> Tried setting cacert_file to the root certificate in /etc/ssl/certs
> Tried adding the root cert from DigiCert website to /usr/shared/ca-certs/ and then running
dpkg-reconfigure ca-certificates to install a new root certificate and setting cacert_file
to that new pem encoded certificate in /etc/ssl/certs
> Tried combining the cert and intermediate cert in one file used for cert_file
> Tried combining the cert, intermediate cert and root cert into 1 pem file used for cert_file
> All of the above throws errors in the couchDB log. Some give a mass amount of output
in the errors logs but using number 3, I get

> =ERROR REPORT==== 11-Jun-2013::11:35:30 ===
> SSL: hello: ssl_handshake.erl:252:Fatal error: internal error
>
> And testing with openssl I get
>
> CONNECTED(00000003)
> 16871:error:14094438:SSL routines:SSL3_READ_BYTES:tlsv1 alert internal    error:s3_pkt.c:1099:SSL
alert number 80
> 16871:error:140790E5:SSL routines:SSL23_WRITE:ssl handshake failure:s23_lib.c:188:
>
> Does anyone have any idea on how to use the verify_ssl_certificates, the root certificate
and the intermediate certificate correctly with couchDB