couchdb-user mailing list archives

From Adam Kocoloski <kocol...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Are pull replications really still faster than push?
Date Thu, 20 Jun 2013 17:34:10 GMT
On Jun 20, 2013, at 1:32 PM, Jens Alfke <jens@couchbase.com> wrote:

> The wiki documentation of the _replicate API says:
>
>> As of CouchDB 0.9, pull replication is a lot more efficient and resistant to errors,
and it is suggested that you use pull replication in most cases, especially if your documents
are large or you have large attachments.
> (http://wiki.apache.org/couchdb/Replication)
>
> This was probably written circa 2009. Is it still true? I know from experience that the
pull replication protocol has a big bottleneck in that it has to fetch revisions using individual
GET requests, whereas push replication can send them in bulk via a POST to _bulk_docs. In
practice I have seen this have a big effect on pull-replication performance.

> —Jens

It's no longer true.

Adam