couchdb-user mailing list archives

From Jens Alfke <j...@couchbase.com>
Subject Re: please
Date Thu, 16 May 2013 18:21:32 GMT

On May 16, 2013, at 9:58 AM, Ashraf Janan <ashrafjanan@yahoo.com<mailto:ashrafjanan@yahoo.com>>
wrote:

which is the best CouchDB book ?

http://guide.couchdb.org/

.Iam studying iOS applications development and i want to use CouchDB with Xcode. How can i
do that ?thanks

What exactly do you want to build?

If you want to make an iOS app that talks to a remote CouchDB server, i.e. accessing only
remote data, use the CouchCocoa library (https://github.com/couchbaselabs/CouchCocoa). It’s
a fairly lightweight wrapper around the CouchDB REST API.

If you want to put a CouchDB-type database inside your iOS app, and then probably replicate
with remote servers, use TouchDB (https://github.com/couchbaselabs/TouchDB) which is a compatible
database library built for iOS. Trying to run Apache CouchDB itself on iOS is not the way
to go: it’s too hard to build, too big, and doesn’t perform well enough. (I spent six
months working on doing exactly that and gave up.)

BTW I am the primary author of those two libraries.

—Jens