couchdb-user mailing list archives

From Jens Alfke <j...@couchbase.com>
Subject Re: number of views pe design doc
Date Thu, 30 May 2013 00:41:35 GMT

On May 29, 2013, at 5:23 PM, Stanley Iriele <siriele@breaktimestudios.com> wrote:

> I've been using couchdb for a while now and I have had problems in the past
> with having too many views in one design doc. what is the recommended
> number of view per doc?..is 6 too many?...the documents inside could
> potentially be updated quite frequently.

I think it depends entirely on your data and how complex the view functions are.

The thing to remember is that when CouchDB needs to update a view, it updates _every_ view
in that design document. If you have some views that are only queried rarely, or have especially
slow map/reduce functions, it can help to put them in their own design documents.

—Jens