couchdb-user mailing list archives

From Tim Tisdall <tisd...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: CouchDB not reachable (beginner's question)
Date Mon, 15 Apr 2013 15:15:57 GMT
"... SSHing as root, which is probably worse than opening CouchDB to the
world with no password."

I don't see how they're equivalent or even similar...  hence my question.
 And I don't see anything inherently wrong with ssh'ing as root, too. As
far as the external world is concerned, ssh'ing in as root is just as
secure as any other log in with the exception that people would already
know the login name (but not the password or certificate used).

On Mon, Apr 15, 2013 at 11:06 AM, Robert Newson <rnewson@apache.org> wrote:

> That's a false equivalence. You should not open couchdb to the world
> before you set an administration password in the first place. :)
>
> B.
>
> On 15 April 2013 15:55, Tim Tisdall <tisdall@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Still don't see how ssh'ing in as root is anywhere as bad as having your
> > CouchDB open to the world with no password...
> >
> > If you had two machines, one with no password and public access to
> CouchDB
> > and another one with someone logged in via SSH as root and someone asked
> > you to delete the DB on one of those machines, which one would you go
> after?
> >

> > On Mon, Apr 15, 2013 at 10:23 AM, Keith Gable <
> ziggy@ignition-project.com>wrote:
> >
> >> wow indeed.
> >>
> >> ---
> >> Keith Gable
> >> A+, Network+, and Storage+ Certified Professional
> >> Apple Certified Technical Coordinator
> >> Mobile Application Developer / Web Developer

> >> CouchDB

 Like
> >> this:

> >> for