couchdb-user mailing list archives

From Aurélien Bénel <aurelien.be...@utt.fr>
Subject Re: CouchDB toolkit for turn-based games
Date Tue, 23 Apr 2013 06:02:16 GMT
Hi Sander,

As a side project, we're also prototyping a multiplayer game.
It is not a turn-based one, however. Think of it as a multiplayer graphic adventure game.

One funny thing about this game is that game rules are data rather than programs. And it's
amazing how you can code such a game server with CouchDB and just a few lines of code.

Here is a paper presenting how we use CouchDB for this:
    http://publications.icd.utt.fr/183ca2128f922e625b6ba73a960189a0/elmawas_H2PTM_2011.pdf
It's in french but there are a lot of pictures ;)

On GitHub, there is also a partial implementation of what is described in the paper (except
the update handler for using game rules):
    https://github.com/benel/SOS21Server

At this time, we're trying to implement the game (lightweight) client with MelonJS.

Regards,

Aurélien