couchdb-user mailing list archives

From "Michael Zedeler." <mich...@zedeler.dk>
Subject Re: CouchDB not reachable (beginner's question)
Date Mon, 15 Apr 2013 19:59:34 GMT
Hi Keith and others.

First off, I'd prefer to read discussions on this list based on facts
and not just "wow". You may have a point, but it's not a very nice
welcome to Tim who is writing in with a beginners question (his own
wording - not mine).

Second, I'd like to pick up your comment on remote root login via ssh.

A server where root login using a pass phrase can be hacked using brute
force over time. Yes - fail2ban should mitigate this somewhat, but it is
still something that is just waiting to happen.

But if you force the use of key login, getting in using brute force is
essentially impossible.

Then you could argue that using a second user account could serve as a
second line of defense, but that is very thin line. Any attacker who has
gained access to such an account can easilly log in and modify the
environment to pick up any passwords that the user must enter in order
to get root access.

Monitoring, hardening and two factor authentication is what comes to
mind when I think of what can be done to actually avoid the problem.

I know that having remote ssh root access isn't ideal, but I think it is
becoming very common on servers in small organisations because any extra
security layers are complicated to set up, manage and monitor.

Regards,

Michael

On 2013-04-15 16:23, Keith Gable wrote:
> wow indeed.
>
> ---
> Keith Gable
> A+, Network+, and Storage+ Certified Professional
> Apple Certified Technical Coordinator
> Mobile Application Developer / Web Developer
>

> On Mon, Apr 15, 2013 at 9:18 AM, Robert Newson <rnewson@apache.org> wrote:
>
>> wow.
>>
>> On 15 April 2013 15:15, Tim Tisdall <tisdall@gmail.com> wrote:
>>> What's wrong with ssh'ing as root?

> [...]
> [...]